The historic Shamrock Hilton Hotel. The Shamrock opened on March 17, 1949. Publicized as "Houston's biggest party," the grand opening attracted some 2,000 Houstonians and 150 Hollywood celebrities, including Ginger Rogers, Hedda Hopper, and Errol Flynn. Hilton purchased the hotel in 1955, operating it as the Shamrock Hilton until 1985, when it donated the building to the Texas Medical Center. Demolished in 1987, the site is now the home of the Institute of Biosciences and Technology.