Would you like an email reminder when the Texas Film Round-Up starts?
The Texas Film Round-Up provides FREE digitization for Texas-related films and videotapes in exchange for the donation of a digital copy of the materials to the Archive for future generations to appreciate.
Through a partnership between the Texas Archive of the Moving Image (TAMI) and the Texas Film Commission, this program has provided new access to more than 50,000 films and videotapes and served hundreds of individuals and institutions.
Types of film and video productions
The program welcomes all kinds of production types, including:
|Amateur films||Itinerant films|
|Educational films||Promotional films|
|Home movies||Student films|
To qualify, your films and videotapes must
- be any of the following formats:
- Film: Super 8, 8mm, 16mm
- Video: VHS, VHS-C, S-VHS, Betacam SP / SX, Betamax, Digibeta,
½" Open Reel, ¾" U-matic tapes, 8mm tapes, and MiniDV cassettes
- relate to the history and culture of Texas because they were filmed in Texas, filmed by a Texan, or featured Texas or Texans,
- be in the public domain or submitted by the copyright holder, who grants permission for the content to be shared by TAMI, and
- up to 50 film reels* and 10 videotapes per household.
*The program limit is up to 50 film reels or 3,500 feet of film (whichever is less).
For the free digitization program, TAMI will
- inventory your films and videotapes,
- provide minor cleaning and repairs, if necessary,
- digitize the materials,
- transfer digital files to a portable drive* that you provide, and
- return your originals with the portable drive. *TAMI will follow up with what hard drive size you will need.
Please note, due to high demand, this entire process can take up to six months.
*Portable drives for your collection
Once your collection has been digitized, TAMI will follow up with the size of the portable drive you will need to purchase. TAMI recommends USB 3.0 portable drives due to their optimal transfer speeds.
- You can purchase a new portable drive and ship it to our office. Be sure to include your name with the shipment.
Texas Archive of the Moving Image, 3908 Avenue B, Suite 306, Austin, TX 78751.
- You may purchase a new portable drive from us. We offer USB 3.0 drives in a range of sizes, listed below with prices. To purchase, please contact us at 512-485-3073 or email@example.com.
If you purchase more than one portable drive, the cost for additional transfers is $15 each.
TAMI regrets that it cannot accept
- any format not mentioned above, including open reel video or audio tape,
- copyrighted material (i.e., programs recorded from television or commercial films),
- videos made for insurance purposes, nor
- film or videotape deemed in too poor condition for safe transfer or inappropriate for this project.
If your materials are not eligible for the free digitization program, TAMI can advise you on preservation and digitization options. Please contact us for more information at 512-485-3073 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are your films already digitized?
You can still be a part of the story of Texas by submitting your digital videos to the Archive. Contact us for more information at 512-485-3073 or email@example.com.
Your films and videotapes are valuable records of Texas history and culture, and with your help, our state’s media heritage will be available for future generations to appreciate. We value your participation and support!
The Texas Film Round-Up is a partnership between the Texas Archive of the Moving Image, a non-profit educational organization, and the Office of the Governor’s Texas Film Commission.