Check out films featuring these famous Texas landmarks!
Footage of Austin's most popular swimming hole
Historically tagged as simply “The Avenue,” Congress Avenue has been the hallmark street of Austin since its inception. When Edwin Waller laid out the grid for the Republic of Texas’ new capital city in 1839, he envisioned the grand avenue that would lead straight from the site of the Capitol Building to the Colorado River. While parallel north-south streets would be named for Texas rivers (in correct geographic order), Gov. Mirabeau B. Lamar gave Congress Avenue its singular name.
Growth sprung up along The Avenue and continued steadily, beginning with government buildings, saloons, and shops. In 1891, electric street cars competed with cattle on the thoroughfare. With the rise of the automobile at the turn of the century, Congress Avenue soon became the first brick-paved street in Austin. Previously sparse development south of the river increased with the construction of the concrete Congress Avenue Bridge in 1911, ultimately developing into the eclectic SoCo district, as it is known today.
When the Congress Avenue Bridge was renovated in 1980, unbeknownst to the architects, the crevices along the underside of the bridge were ideal bat roosts. Now the largest urban bat colony in North America, the Congress Avenue Bats are an Austin landmark in their own right; from March to November, Austinites gather to watch 1.5 million bats fly at dusk for their evening hunt.
Many historic buildings still line Congress Avenue, including the Old Bakery (1876), the Littlefield Building and the Scarborough Building (1910), Austin’s first skyscrapers, and the Paramount Theater, formerly the Majestic Theatre (1915).
A collection of films featuring Texas' iconic King Ranch
The Texas White House
Purchased from a family member in 1951 while Lyndon B. Johnson served in the U.S. Senate, “the ranch,” located in Gillespie County in the Texas Hill Country was the Johnsons’ family home. The LBJ Ranch made its debut to the American public during Johnson’s vice presidency (1961 - 1963) when it was used to host state visits of foreign dignitaries, high-ranking Washington politicians, and campaign functions. As President (1963 – 1969), Johnson conducted official business at the ranch, including state visits and lawn chair staff meetings, earning it the name, the Texas White House. On December 2, 1969, the ranch, along with Johnson City and Johnson's birthplace, was authorized as Lyndon B. Johnson National Historic Site, and became a United States National Historic Park on December 28, 1980. Both President and Lady Bird Johnson are buried in the family cemetery within the National Historic Park.
Ysleta Del Sur Pueblo is a federally recognized sovereign nation that is home to the Puebloan Native American tribal community known as "Tigua." The Pueblo is located approximately twelve miles from El Paso, Texas and was established in 1682 following the Pueblo Revolt of 1680 in New Mexico when the tribe was displaced by Spaniards. The Tribe practices their traditional ceremonies and maintains its political and social infrastructure in the Pueblo Community while also contributing to the local community and economy of El Paso. The Tribe provides health care, education, law enforcement, tribal courts, and elder assistance to its members on the Pueblo, among other services.
La Mision de Corpus Christi de San Antonio de la Ysleta del Sur, better known as Mission Ysleta, is located on the Pueblo. The site of Mission Ysleta was initially used as a refugee camp in 1675 for Pueblo Indians escaping the Pueblo Revolt, as well as Apache raiders. The church's permanent structure was built out of adobe by the Tigua, and the dedication took place on October 19, 1682. The church was named for Tigua's patron saint, Saint Anthony (San Antonio). The church relocated and was rebuilt on the Pueblo several times during the 18th and 19th centuries due to flooding of the Rio Grande River, and it was rebuilt in 1908 following a fire. The structure erected in 1908 is the one that stands today; the bells in its tower cast in 1925. The church holds regular services and is also home to a school for the Puebloan community. Mision Ysleta is a source of pride and tradition for the Tiguas. It is cited by the Texas Historical Commission as the first mission and pueblo in Texas and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. Sister missions exist in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and Socorro, Texas.