Crossing Jordan chronicles the history of what is now Concordia University Texas. It details its origins as a Lutheran boys school in 1926 to a co-educational university in 2008 within the context of the final academic year at the campus' original location in central Austin. The documentary contains primary source photographs and interviews with current students, alumni, staff, and faculty.
Concordia University Texas was founded in 1926 in Austin as a high school for men intending to teach or join the ministry. It was originally called Lutheran Concordia College of Texas. The school was founded by Texan Wends, a sizable immigrant community from Germany. Concordia's first building, Kilian Hall, was named for John Kilian, a leader in the local Wend community. The original campus was located north of the University of Texas at Austin, near what is now Interstate 35. It expanded during the 1940s and 1950s, began accepting women in 1955, and converted to a junior college in 1969. In 1980, Concordia began offering a Bachelor of Arts degree. The school has changed its name several times, most recently to Concordia University Texas in 2007. In 2008, the school moved its campus to northwest Austin and the original buildings were demolished.