This footage captures scenes of the livestock industry at the Port City Calf Sale, which took place at the Port City Stockyards in Sealy. Men line up on the bandstand to prepare for the auction while others track the head of cattle by pen, and prize winners proudly stand with their champion cattle.
The Port City Stockyards Co. was born of necessity and need for Gulf Coast cattlemen during the early part of the Great Depression. Looking for "a better way" to achieve greater value for area livestock, J. W. Sartwelle, of Houston, Texas and other livestock producers formed the Port City Stockyards Co. and the Port City Packing Co. at the same time. The original site for both was located on Houston's east side on the banks of Brays Bayou and there operated as a terminal market before re-locating to Sealy, Texas in June of 1968. From meager beginnings in 1931, the marketing endeavors of the company strengthened the livestock economy of the gulf coast and soon the Port City Stockyards grew to be the fourth largest calf market in the nation. (From the Port City Stockyards website.) http://www.port-city.com/