This promotional film for Abilene Christian College (now named Abilene Christian University) profiles the school's Christians values, departments, extracurricular activities, and campus buildings, focusing primarily on the school's benefactors and the World War II veterans that attend ACC. The narrator gives a history of campus development that was made possible through donors and examines temporary veteran housing that future donations could help improve.
Abilene Christian University is the premier university for the education of Christ-centered, global leaders, offering an exceptional education to about 4,600 students annually from nearly every state and 43 nations. This private, comprehensive university, founded in 1906 in Abilene, Texas, offers 71 baccalaureate majors in more than 125 areas of undergraduate study in addition to its graduate programs. Abilene is a friendly city of 117,000 people, located about 150 miles west of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As an educational center for a large region, Abilene provides cultural, entertainment and support programs and services normally associated with cities twice its size.
Established by members of the Churches of Christ, ACU maintains a strong relationship with these independently governed congregations around the world. Since its founding, the university has welcomed all students of character and ability who value the university's strong Christian environment and exceptional learning environment. Required daily chapel and required Bible courses contribute to the open acknowledgment of Christian faith as an important aspect of the lives of most ACU students. All faculty, staff, administrators and members of the Board of Trustees are Christians.
ACU was founded in 1906 as Childers Classical Institute as a primary and secondary school with 25 students. College courses were not added until 1914. In 1912, Jessie P. Sewell became president of the institure and changed the school name to Abilene Christian College, changed formally in 1920 when the school bought out the land from the Childers family. ACU expanded in 1927 with a contribution of $75,000 from the city of Abilene. The extended campus opened in 1929. ACU received school accreditation in 1971 and changed its name to Abilene Christian University in 1976. The unversity celebrated its centennial in the 2005-06 school year.