This unedited footage, likely shot by Dow Chemical Company for promotional purposes, captures scenes of the Freeport and Lake Jackson area during its initial development in the 1940s. Scenes of plant construction, housing construction, and recreational activities are included.
Dow Chemical, headquartered in Midland, Michigan, is one of the world's largest chemical companies with numerous plants and facilities all over the world. Dow Chemical's involvement in Texas began in 1940 with the construction of the Freeport Plant in Freeport, Texas. This plant was primarily tasked with extracting magnesium from sea water, a much needed resource America's military effort in World War II. The development of the city of Lake Jackson, which served as a home for Dow employees, coincided with the construction of the Freeport Plant and as such share a mutual history. Dow Chemical in Freeport became part of a larger transformation of the Texas Coast into a major center of the oil and chemical industry.