Produced by Austin's KLRU-TV, this 1990s television documentary tells the story behind the historic Main Building at St. Edward's University in Austin. Built by famed Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton, the building has served as its centerpiece since its original construction in 1889. After summarizing its architectural features, the film highlights the Main Building's complete reconstruction after a devastating fire in 1903, and its subsequent weathering of a tornado in 1922. Following the feature is a message from St. Edward's University President, Dr. Patricia Hayes, advocating for public broadcasting and imploring viewers to make a donation to KLRU.
St. Edward's University is a private Roman Catholic institution of higher learning located in Austin, Texas. It was established in 1877 by the Reverend Edward Sorin, CSC, Superior General of the Congregation of the Holy Cross. Sorin also founded the University of Notre Dame. The campus moved to its current location in 1889. Famed Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton built the university's Main Building, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. St. Edward's received its university charter in 1925, and became co-educational in 1970. Today, the university's enrollment exceeds 5,000 students rom 44 states and 51 countries.