This 1958 home movie captures the dedication of Andre Hall at St. Edward's University in Austin, with clergy from the Congregation of Holy Cross present. The hall was named after Brother André Besette, who was later canonized as Saint André of Montreal by Pope Benedict XVI in 2010. The building cost $300,000 to construct, serving as a residence hall until the 1970s. Today, the building houses faculty offices and classrooms.
St. Edward's University is a private Roman Catholic institution of higher learning located in Austin, Texas. It was established in 1877 by the Reverend Edward Sorin, CSC, Superior General of the Congregation of the Holy Cross. Sorin also founded the University of Notre Dame. The campus moved to its current location in 1889. Famed Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton built the university's Main Building, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. St. Edward's received its university charter in 1925, and became co-educational in 1970. Today, the university's enrollment exceeds 5,000 students rom 44 states and 51 countries.