This 1952 promotional film for St. Edward's University in Austin seeks to entice potential students by highlighting the film's many offerings. The film opens with an introduction by the university president, Brother Edmund Hunt, before highlighting the religious services provided by the university. Subsequent scenes from several of the classes offered at the time, such as religion, engineering, and economics, provide viewers with an impression of what the school was like in the 1950s. The film also highlights Hilltopper varsity sports (basketball, baseball, tennis, and golf) and other extracurricular activities, including an amusing scene with the publications editor providing minimal guidance to his photographer. Off-campus, students hang out at local Barton Springs Pool. Footage from the Senior Ball dance and graduation commencement close out the film.
St. Edward's University is a private Roman Catholic institution of higher learning located in Austin, Texas. It was established in 1877 by the Reverend Edward Sorin, CSC, Superior General of the Congregation of the Holy Cross. Sorin also founded the University of Notre Dame. The campus moved to its current location in 1889. Famed Galveston architect Nicholas Clayton built the university's Main Building, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. St. Edward's received its university charter in 1925, and became co-educational in 1970. Today, the university's enrollment exceeds 5,000 students rom 44 states and 51 countries.