This 1961 home movie captures a fire prevention parade on Jefferson Blvd. in Oak Cliff, Dallas. The parade involves marching bands and drill teams from various Dallas area high schools, including South Oak Cliff High School, Adamson High School, and others. Daughter Mary Jo marched in the parade with her drill team. The paraders march down the street, passing furniture stores, a book shop, and the historic Texas Theater. Later, the family sits around a Christmas tree exchanging presents.
The Texas Theater opened on Jefferson Street in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas on San Jacinto Day, April 21, 1931. With state-of-the-art equipment and a Venetian opera house aesthetic, the theater was the largest suburban movie theater in Dallas.
The theater gained notoriety on November 22, 1963, when Lee Harvey Oswald entered, following the fatal shooting of Officer J.D. Tippit and President John F. Kennedy. The concession stand manager at the time, Warren "Butch" Burroughs, claims that Oswald came through the doors around 1:00 pm and purchased popcorn. Oswald entered the theater during a showing of the film War is Hell and found a seat in the back. Eventually, police arrived and arrested him for the murder of Officer Tippit and eventually for the assassination of President Kennedy.
Following the incident, the theater underwent decades of remodeling, new ownership, and shutdowns. In 1990, the Texas Theater Historical Society purchased the theater and allowed Oliver Stone to use the facade for his 1991 film, JFK. However, the theater still faced tumultuous years ahead, which included inadequate funding, an alarm fire, and vacancy. In 2003, the theater was added to the National Register of Historic Places, and in 2010, Aviation Cinemas, Inc. took it over. Today the Texas Theater is an independent cinema that hosts screenings, live theater, and concerts.