This 1952 home movie captures the dedication ceremony for a historical marker honoring the state's first sugar refinery in Sugar Land. The Texas Society of Daughters of the American Colonists host the event, which includes various speeches and presentations. The footage includes shots of the Imperial Sugar Company factory as well as illustrations and old photographs of the facility's history.
The city of Sugar Land now occupies the site that was once the Oakland Plantation. It was there that in 1843 Samuel May Williams installed a commercial sugar-grinding mill on his land, leading to a rapid shift from cotton to sugar cane as the area's dominant crop. In 1905, the area's sugar plantations were acquired by the Kempner family, who dubbed their company the Imperial Sugar Company. Though sugar has not been refined at the original plant since 2003, the company's headquarters remains in Sugar Land, making it the oldest extant business in Texas.