Library Wrap, 02/14/68: A KHOU reporter outlines the stakes of an upcoming bond election to add $5.5 million in funds for the construction of a new Central Library and the purchase of six sites for future branch locations. In the segment, the reporter references a non-governmental study that found the city's current Central Library to be inadequate. The facility, known as the Julia Ideson Building, opened in 1926. It was named after the Houston Public Library's first head librarian. Despite the proposed bond, a new Central Library would not open until 1976. After the main library moved to what is now known as the Jesse H. Jones Building, the Ideson Building housed archives and manuscripts. It is also the home of the Houston Metropolitan Research Center. The Ideson Building received listing in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.