Your E-mail has been sent

The KHOU-TV Collection - News Clips, May 18 - 31, 1966
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Sound |
| English
  • Map
  • Highlights
    Heart Announcement, 05/18/66: A reporter reads a pair of statement released by Methodist Hospital Administrator Ted Bowen on the status of heart patient Walter L. McCans. Pioneering heart surgeon Dr. Michael DeBakey and his team operated on McCans on May 17, using an artificial heart to assist in his immediate recovery. McCans, a 63-year-old Navy chief petty officer, was only the second patient to receive this new heart pump designed by DeBakey. The surgery team removed the artificial heart after about 24 hours after determining that McCans' own heart had healed enough to resume pumping on its own. As the reporter relates, McCans underwent several additional surgeries to address persistent lung congestion. He died on May 20 as a result of bleeding around his lungs. 
    Fire Boat, 05/20/66: Onlookers watch as firefighters attempt to extinguish a boat fire
    Carswell At It Again, 05/23/66: Police officers and an ambulance rush to the scene of a car accident, which leaves a woman in a stretcher. Jack Carswell, director of Jack Carswell and Co. Funeral Directors of Houston, argues with a patrolman at the site. Carswell was engaged in a long-lasting legal battle with the City of Houston over ambulance permits at the time. Part of his business involved operating an ambulance and emergency response team. To Carswell's displeasure, however, the city required a permit to conduct such services. The chief of police eventually suspended Carswell's permit, prompting Carswell to resort to prank phone calls for revenge. Houston City Councilmen Lee McLemore and A. L. Miller as well as James Francis Willis of the Houston Police Department began receiving mysterious calls, where the phone would ring but no one would answer on the other line. On June 9, 1966, less than one month after this clip, a Harris County grand jury charged Carswell with using a telephone "in a manner and with intent to harass, annoy and torment."  The court eventually acquitted him, so he sued Willis and the appellee for the physical and mental suffering caused by such accusations.
    Heplor [sic] Wrap, 05/25/66: KHOU reporter Mark Hepler reports on the changing face of the Riverside Terrace neighborhood in Houston. The community was established in the 1930s as a home for Houston's prominent Jewish families, who were not allowed to settle in the River Oaks neighborhood. Jack Caesar, a wealthy black cattleman, and his family moved to Riverside in 1952. Despite the detonation of a bomb on their front porch a year later, the Caesars stayed, prompting other black families to move to the area (as well as white flight to the suburbs). In the 1960s, remaining white residents sought to stabilize Riverside Terrace as an integrated community. The South MacGregor Promotion Committee posted signs stating "This Is Our Home It Is Not For Sale" in a campaign against block busting. (Blockbusting was the practice by which real estate agents used racist fears of minorities to pressure white families to sell their houses at low prices in order to resell them to African-American ones at higher prices.) Nevertheless, all but a few of the white families left Riverside Terrace, and the neighborhood became predominantly African American. Notable residents include Olympian Carl Lewis, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee, and Beyoncé.
    Bracewell Charter Comm., 05/26/66: J. Searcy Bracewell Jr,  former state legislator and member of the Houston City Charter Commission, explains the purpose of the charter committee. Bracewell served in the Texas House of Representatives from 1947 to 1949 and the Texas Senate from 1949 to 1959. Throughout his career, Bracewell helped establish the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center and the University of Texas Science Center Dental School.
    Prison Grads, 05/29/66: Graduation ceremony for inmates
    Texas Longhorns Head Coach Darrell K Royal delivers the commencement speech
    Fultz Retires, 05/31/66: Retirement party for Houston Police Inspector Larry W. Fultz. In addition to serving in the police force, Fultz also worked as an attorney at law, the head of Juvenile for Harris County, and the director of security at the University of Houston.