Your E-mail has been sent

The KHOU-TV Collection - News Clips, September and October 1965
Houston Metropolitan Research Center
Sound |
1965 |
| English
  • Map
  • Highlights
    Ellington Evac: An airplane waits to take off at Ellington Air Force Base while military personnel direct air traffic from the control tower
    Dome Theatre, 09/27/65: Construction underway on a domed venue
    Editorial, 09/07/65: Reflecting on the high number of traffic fatalities over the Labor Day weekend, a KHOU reporter introduces efforts to ensure the safety of pedestrians, particularly children. In a press conference, Houston Mayor Louie Welch talks about the addition of several school zones in the Houston area. 
    Circus, 10/01/65: KHOU reporter Ron Stone interviewers performers with the Clyde Beatty Cole Bros Circus
    Reserves, 10/10/65: Military personnel and vehicles at the US Army Reserve facility in Houston
    M. Murray, 10/01/65: Atheist activist Madalyn Murray (later known as Madalyn Murray O'Hair) comments on her relocation to Texas and her fight against extradition. Maryland Governor J. Millard Tawes requested Texas Governor John Connally facilitate Murray's return to Maryland to face assault charges. Murray moved to Austin in 1965, where she established the American Atheists Center and the Society of Separationists. While Murray says that she only expects to stay in Texas for a year or two, she remained in Austin until her death in 1995. 
    Rogers House, 10/01/65: The vacant home of Fred and Edwin Rogers. On June 23, 1965, Marvin Martin called Houston police to check on the couple, his aunt and uncle, whom he had not been able to get in touch with for several days. When officers forced their way into the Montrose home, they found it empty. Noticing food left out in the kitchen, patrolman C. A. Bullock opened the refrigerator, where he discovered the dismembered bodies of the elderly couple. The couple's adult son, Charles Rogers, who lived in the house, immediately became a person of interest in the investigation. Despite clean-up efforts, evidence of blood was found leading to Charles' bedroom. Charles was never located, and was declared dead in 1975. The case, commonly known as the Ice Box Murders, remains unsolved.