In this home movie from October 6, 1928, the Hopkins family attends a football game between the Southern Methodist University Mustangs and the United States Military Academy Black Knights. Held at Michie Stadium in West Point, New York, the game marked the first of three meetings between the two teams, with the Knights winning 14-13 (contrary to the intertitles). In addition to footage of the game, E.B. Hopkins captures the arrival and halftime performance of the SMU Mustang Band as well as Army cadet drills and award presentations.
Petroleum geologist and oilman Edwin Butcher Hopkins was born to Andrew Delmar and Delia (Butcher) Hopkins in Evans, West Virginia on October 25, 1882. He attended the University of West Virginia, George Washington University, and Cornell University before beginning work in the geological department of the Mexican-Eagle Oil Company. He was married to Amy Myrtilla Longcope Hopkins of Lampasas, Texas in 1913 at a wedding in Dallas. After several years of work with Mexican-Eagle and rising to the rank of field superintendent in charge of production and exploration in Mexico, Hopkins moved to Washington, D.C. in 1916 to begin consulting work as a geologist and petroleum engineer. Hopkins moved to Dallas in 1929 with his wife and young family to establish his home and permanent office, and he began work with the Petroleum Finance Corporation of Texas, the Drilling and Exploration Company, Inc., the Highland Oil Company, and the American Maracaibo Company. Hopkins also served as vice president of the American Petroleum Geological Association and as a member of the American Institute of Mining and Metallurgical Engineers. He was a trustee of the Dallas Art Museum, the Dallas Public Library, and the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. Hopkins wrote many technical papers about his discoveries and work as a petroleum engineer and geologist, distinguishing himself within his field. He and his wife had five children: Amy (who went by Mimi), Jane, Louise, Madeline, and Edwin, Jr. E.B. Hopkins died in Dallas on July 5, 1940.