This reel of news stories about college track and field meets focuses primarily on Abilene Christian College's Bobby Morrow competing at meets in 1957 and 58. The stories capture scenes from the West Coast Relays in Fresno in 1957, the Texas Relays in Austin in 1957, and the American Business Club Relays in Big Spring in 1958. Throughout, Morrow and the ACC relay team that also included Bill Woodhouse, James Segrest, and Waymond Griggs consistently break records. Among other footage of big names in track and field are scenes of Morrow racing Duke's Dave Sime in 1958; Morrow and Sime were constant rivals for the title of "Fastest Man in the World." Although they had both beat each other previously, in this race, Sime wins by a foot and a half.
Abilene Christian University is the premier university for the education of Christ-centered, global leaders, offering an exceptional education to about 4,600 students annually from nearly every state and 43 nations. This private, comprehensive university, founded in 1906 in Abilene, Texas, offers 71 baccalaureate majors in more than 125 areas of undergraduate study in addition to its graduate programs. Abilene is a friendly city of 117,000 people, located about 150 miles west of the Dallas/Fort Worth area. As an educational center for a large region, Abilene provides cultural, entertainment and support programs and services normally associated with cities twice its size.
Established by members of the Churches of Christ, ACU maintains a strong relationship with these independently governed congregations around the world. Since its founding, the university has welcomed all students of character and ability who value the university's strong Christian environment and exceptional learning environment. Required daily chapel and required Bible courses contribute to the open acknowledgment of Christian faith as an important aspect of the lives of most ACU students. All faculty, staff, administrators and members of the Board of Trustees are Christians.
ACU was founded in 1906 as Childers Classical Institute as a primary and secondary school with 25 students. College courses were not added until 1914. In 1912, Jessie P. Sewell became president of the institure and changed the school name to Abilene Christian College, changed formally in 1920 when the school bought out the land from the Childers family. ACU expanded in 1927 with a contribution of $75,000 from the city of Abilene. The extended campus opened in 1929. ACU received school accreditation in 1971 and changed its name to Abilene Christian University in 1976. The unversity celebrated its centennial in the 2005-06 school year.