In this news segment from Dallas's WFAA-TV, fifth graders from Tatum Elementary School visit the Bain-Honaker House in Farmersville to learn about life at the turn of the 20th century. Members of the Farmersville Historical Society teach the students about the purpose of chamber pots as well as led activities such as quilting and butter churning.
Anna Melissa Hicks Bain (1834-1906), widow of John Alexander Bain, built this house in 1865 on 6.75 acres of land east of the town square in Farmersville. She reared five daughters here: Mary Clorinda, Martha, Catherine, Christina and Margaret. An astute businesswoman, Anna Bain divided her property into lots, built commercial buildings and sold some property to the Red River Railroad Company. She also provided room and board for teachers and students from nearby private schools. The Farmersville Culture Club was founded here.
In 1902, three peaked gables and a narrow porch were replaced by an asymmetrical façade and new porch, and the northeast bedrooms were extended. Anna Bain's daughters Mary and Catherine (Cassie) married brothers, Henry Honaker and Andrew Honaker. Martha married William S. Aston. Cassie Bain Honaker lived here while her husband was in
medical school, where he died. She later married James E. Jones and lived here until her death in 1928. Five generations of the Bain-Honaker family lived in this house.
Honaker family descendants donated the house to the Farmersville Historical Society in 1989.