Filmed sometime between 1926 - 1932, this early footage of the industrial area around the Houston Ship Channel shows the operations of the port - a tugboat and other ships navigating through the harbor, and ships being loaded. The clip contains footage of the SS Lake Ellithorpe, a cargo ship completed in 1919 by Great Lakes Engineering Works. After purchase by Newtex steamships in 1926 the ship was eventually renamed the Texas Trader, and then, after being acquired by the British in 1940, was dubbed Empire Kestrel. During WWII, she was attacked by German aircraft and sunk on August 16, 1943. Also pictured is the SS Lake Fairport, a cargo ship completed by Detroit-based shipbuilders, AmShip, in 1919. The ship was lost in 1941.